- To actively participate in and to generously give back to the local Asian communities
- To network and support one another in the business community
- To encourage, coach and mentor youth
- To celebrate our Asian heritage and culture
Midori Kai is a non-profit professional women’s corporation founded in September 1996. Midori Kai was established to create an effective organization comprised of Japanese American professional women leaders with various business and creative backgrounds; who are committed to community involvement, supporting local nonprofit organizations, mentoring youth, and celebrating our Japanese American heritage. Prior to incorporation in 2000, while defining our future, our founding members framed our mission to bring together women leaders to create and build networks, to heighten mindfulness, to build meaningful relationships, to be champions of dialogue and learning, and to serve for the common good. On November 12, 1996, founding Directors approached Reverend Bunyu Fujimura, Reverend Ejitsu Hojo, and Reverend Junjo Tsumura, retired ministers, requesting possible names for our newly formed organization. They suggested Midori Kai. In Japanese, Midori translates to “evergreen” or “everlasting” and Kai means “organization.” Our founding Directors agreed this name was very fitting for the new organization.
Over the years, Midori Kai, Inc., has grown to over 20 Directors, created an annual Arts & Crafts Boutique in March 2000, which is our major fundraiser and in 2004 established a Foundation to ensure Midori Kai could continue to contribute grants to worthy local non-profit organizations. Midori Kai will celebrate their 24th Anniversary in September 2020.
1997 – Founding Members & Advisors
Midori Kai Directors
View our 10th Anniversary Presentation, featuring our history in photos. (PowerPoint, 17M)
- Commitment to the national Japanese American community via involvement in various community functions, historical events and national conferences
- Hosted the fun-filled and very successful 2005 Paradise Royale Casino fundraiser
- Established a highly successful annual Midori Kai Asian Arts & Crafts Boutique, proceeds of which are donated to local non-profit organizations selected on a bi-annual basis.
Midori Kai Crafts, Cooking, Creations
Midori Kai Directors have learned and participated in the following:
- Japanese cooking including sushi
- Knitting, Needlepoint and Beading
- Ikebana and Bunko
- Holiday topiaries and Christmas wreaths
- Gift Bags and Greeting Cards
- Taiko Drum Lessons